Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Whopper

dchamberlain is on a distinguished road
Default Even more questions

Actually just two more this time, I think.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to send my Evolution off next week to get converted. My first question is, I keep seeing that they need to know my HEX file. When I look at the programmer, it lists two files with a .HEX extension. I assume one is the ECM file and one is the TCM file. Is this correct and do they need to know both file names or just one or what?

Second question is advice on what tunes I should get. Any further mods, like intakes and exhausts and stuff are outside of my budget right now. I'm pretty sure I'd like the fuel sipper mod and I use the tow program now when I carry my camper. So I'd be interested in a moderate tow type tune for when I carry the camper. Camper weights about 3000 pounds.

I'm more interested in what is going to be best for my engine. I've never had a problem with EGT's, even when I was towing a very heavy trailer to Colorado. But I don't want to over power it so much that I break something.

I live at 4300 feet elevation, I drive it to town every week or two (100 miles), and I poke around up in the mountains every week or two (up to 8000 feet.) And 2 or 3 times a year, I carry my camper somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David Chamberlain
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You sound like a good candidate for custom tunes. Unfortunately, since I don't have a diesel, I can't help you with the HEX code. We only have one on a gasser. I'm sure Bill will know what's what if you give him both of them and someone like cleatus (well, cody, really) or southpaw would probably know about this as well.

Your description of your driving habits and trips pretty much explains what you want in my opinion. I wrote Bill something similar when I requested my tunes and he made me happy. You write very clearly - just include all that as an attachment with your order as well as any other qualifying information you can think of. Heck, I even included pictures of my truck and trailer when I sent my order in.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

David,

First, make sure to indicate both ECM and TCM hex codes on the upgrade form. This helps us to build the matched set of files.

In most cases, the only mod we usually recommend is to go with a larger downpipe to help reduce some backpressure and EGTs. It's not necessary, but it does help provide some headroom for towing and you can usually end up running a slightly hotter program under the same conditions.

Please know that the reliability of your engine and transmission is just as important to us as it is to you. We make every effort to ensure that even our higher output programs are safe for the drivetrain. With this in mind, if you keep power levels at 100 HP or below, you should be fine.

For daily driving, a 75-80 HP program usually provides the best combination of driveability and fuel economy. For towing, particularly at altitude, I'd stay in the 60 HP range unless you're pulling over 8,000 to 10,000 Lbs. in which case I'd drop to a 40 HP program.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Whopper

dchamberlain is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I just sent my email with the form right before I saw your post. The two tunes I selected were the "Fuel Sipper" and the "65 HP Standard Tow". I also only put on the PCM code.

First off, do those tunes sound about right? Or should I select something different. Basically I want the ones that are going to be best for me. And should I resend the form with the additional information, or just email the codes to you to you?

Also, just out of curiosity, why does the HP go down the heavier you intend to tow? Is this an engine protection thing or something else?
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Get a Phoenix or the FU chip Once you discover shift on the fly tuning you will never go back to a programmer
higher the HP, the higher the EGT temps, also more load on trans so higher trans temps... SO yes its a protection of the engine and tranny thing.. the difference at cruising with the 60-80-100HP for example is not going to feel much different. you could cruise in the 140hp tune pulling a trailer on flat ground on the interstate with no issues at all .... its under load such as hill climbing or accelerating that the difference shows up... for example in the Fuel Sipper tune I can hit about 1200F at full throttle on the freeway accel from 60 to 90mph do the same in the 100HP tune I can get EGT's into the 1400F range... I know cuz I just did this test yesterday as I was playing with some custom tuning...

I really like the response of the 80HP tune and its fine for light towing. Still working on tweaking the FS tune to get it to do what I want it to...

While we are on the altitude topic, BILL can ya reply to the PM I sent ya and check the Altitude tuning thread in the Minotaur Forum? I need your with some tuning
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's