Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Whopper

gregk63 is on a distinguished road
serious questions about custom options on gryphon

I,m still running canned tunes, but have played withit a little to change speedo limit, shift firmness, tire size. But after reading several posts in this forum, I am thoroughly confused. After entering the custom options, changing what I want, do I just select done and then exit or do I have to choose " load previous settings". Which previous settings, the ones I just changed/set, the ones from the last time I made changes, 2x back, 3x back? WHAT THE HECK!!!! None of all this that everyone on this forum is talking about is in the instructions ( very vague, in my opinion ). Also if I choose to change/ update custom options, does it return all settings to default? I set my tire size three times and I go backin the check it and its not to what I set it. I mved my shift firmness up to 5 @ 1-2 and 2-3. I go back in to check and its at 0. Is it at 0 again, or is it at 5 and the base is set to 0. If the latter is true, how can we ever keep track of where it is set at?
When I get my custom tunes from Bill, do I have to go in and re-enter my custom options? If I change from custom tune 1 to custom tune 2, do I have to make the custom option changes again ? IF ALL OF WHAT I AM READING IN THIS FORUM IS TRUE, THE INSTRUCTIONS NEED SOME SERIOUS REVAMPING.
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well ill try to help you out a little, and then someone smarter than I can really help you I dont really understand the load previous setting option enough to explain it. But what I do most of the time to make sure it sets is...I click on create custom file and I just reenter everything over(usually I am in no hurry so it doesn't matter to me) then make sure you click done and it writes then. I am pretty sure everything resets itself back each time you go in to change it unless you use load previous settings at the beginning. This would be why everything is resest when you go back in and look at it. I wish there was a way to tell what parameters you have changed to make sure it goes through.

There also was a good thread on the load previous setting option on here, kinda confusing at first but good info. Im with you on the instructions they are pretty vague.

Hope I have helped some, now someone smarter can come and give you a better answer.
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Greg - The custom options business IS confusing! I'm going to try to make it clear.

When you enter any changes in the Custom Options menu, make sure you hit the <Enter> button to record them. Then, when you're all finished and want to program the PCM, select "Done" in the menu, turn the key off then on again.

At this time, it creates or updates the "Previous Options" file, which it stores in addition to programming your PCM.

Now, suppose you want to reprogram something. You have two choices. If you DO NOT select "Load Previous Settings" as your first choice in the Custom Options menu, you will see the "default" settings for everything! So your shift firmness will be 0, your speed limiter will be at 99, your tire size may very well be some bogus value and so on. You can manually reenter all the values you want as JWBFX4 suggested.

OR - you can select Load Previous Settings as the first step. If you do, you should see the +5 for shift firmness that you set the last time. If you raised your max speed to say 110, you should find that value in that menu selection now. There's one value that doesn't seem to quite "hold", and that is tire size. I set mine to 2481 and when I load previous settings I always find it is at 2484. Bill explained once that the unit sort of "rounds" tire size in mm to a value it can store in binary (possibly converted to inches?)

The "Load Previous Settings" brings back the previous set of values you entered in the Custom Options menu during the most recent programming session. It is a single file and is not specific to any level. If you "Load Previous Settings" partway through the Custom Options process, it will reset anything you've just changed to the values you set in your previous tune. It's designed to simplify your setting of custom options, so you don't have to do them ALL over again when changing from Level to Level (which is why you want to Load Previous Settings first).

Bill does adjust things like shift speeds or RPMs, shift pressure, timing, etc when he writes your custom tunes. I suggest you try his values out at first. (They will be the "zero" points in some of the options - in others, like WOT shift RPM, you'll see a number like 4975). But, you CAN change these after you've tried them if you decide you want to.

I hope I've helped - I agree, it's all very confusing and I'm not sure I could write the manual any better than it is.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Tue, March 24th, 2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Found actual value for tire size
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Greg - The custom options business IS confusing! I'm going to try to make it clear.

When you enter any changes in the Custom Options menu, make sure you hit the <Enter> button to record them. Then, when you're all finished and want to program the PCM, select "Done" in the menu, turn the key off then on again.

At this time, it creates or updates the "Previous Options" file, which it stores in addition to programming your PCM.

Now, suppose you want to reprogram something. You have two choices. If you DO NOT select "Load Previous Settings" as your first choice in the Custom Options menu, you will see the "default" settings for everything! So your shift firmness will be 0, your speed limiter will be at 99, your tire size may very well be some bogus value and so on. You can manually reenter all the values you want as JWBFX4 suggested.

OR - you can select Load Previous Settings as the first step. If you do, you should see the +5 for shift firmness that you set the last time. If you raised your max speed to say 110, you should find that value in that menu selection now. There's one value that doesn't seem to quite "hold", and that is tire size. I set mine to 2481 and when I load previous settings I always find it is at 2484. Bill explained once that the unit sort of "rounds" tire size in mm to a value it can store in binary (possibly converted to inches?)

The "Load Previous Settings" brings back the previous set of values you entered in the Custom Options menu during the most recent programming session. It is a single file and is not specific to any level. If you "Load Previous Settings" partway through the Custom Options process, it will reset anything you've just changed to the values you set in your previous tune. It's designed to simplify your setting of custom options, so you don't have to do them ALL over again when changing from Level to Level (which is why you want to Load Previous Settings first).

Bill does adjust things like shift speeds or RPMs, shift pressure, timing, etc when he writes your custom tunes. I suggest you try his values out at first. (They will be the "zero" points in some of the options - in others, like WOT shift RPM, you'll see a number like 4975). But, you CAN change these after you've tried them if you decide you want to.

I hope I've helped - I agree, it's all very confusing and I'm not sure I could write the manual any better than it is.

- Jack
soooo... if I get to where it asks me if I want to create custom options, if i say "yes" and hit enter, every parameter that I previously set returns to 0 or default?
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk63 View Post
soooo... if I get to where it asks me if I want to create custom options, if i say "yes" and hit enter, every parameter that I previously set returns to 0 or default?
so if I load previous settings, I can go through and look at every option, make any adjustments, and then hit done and enter, right ?
Old Wed, March 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes! Unless you "Load Previous Settings" right after that. And, if you're in the Custom Options menu and you haven't loaded previous settings, your gear ratio and tire size could well be bogus values.

But, if you skip the Custom Options menu by saying "No", then the tire size and gear ratio are taken from the VID section of the PCM, and they are the factory values that reflect what was on the truck when it was delivered. The remaining settings will be those established by the particular tune you are loading.

- Jack
Old Wed, March 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
so if I load previous settings, I can go through and look at every option, make any adjustments, and then hit done and enter, right ?
Not quite. You hit <Enter> after you look at or change an option to "set" or "accept" it. Then, you simply scroll to the "Done" menu selection and hit <Enter> to start the programming process.

- Jack