Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Phoenix Switch-On-The-Fly Chip (DISCOUNTINUED)

Phoenix Switch-On-The-Fly Chip (DISCOUNTINUED) Power Hungry no longer sells the Phoenix/TS chip, but if you need custom tuning we can recommend
a few really good tuners that will be able to still provide tuning and support for your chip.

If you have any other questions or comments about the Phoenix/TS chip, please post it here.

Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Whopper Junior

audiocontr is on a distinguished road
Default Brand new install. Question on stock vs 80 and up

I just installed a phoenix chip on my 01 with a set of used stage 1s. The initial run ran fantastic on the stock setting. I drove it for about a half hour and switched to 80 at a stop light. The engine stalled out.

I could restart the truck and it runs fine in the stock, 65 tow and 1100 idle settings but 80, 120 and 140 stall out the truck. The same 80, 120 and 140 have gobs of power if im cruising, but it stalls at a stop.

While troubleshooting, i removed and reseated the chip. The stall out issue has not occurred since. However, I have noticed that the stock setting seems to idle and drive much nicer than the 80, though the 80 has significantly more on the top end. Basically the 80, 120 and 140 seem slightly lethargic down low in the rpms and idle very "lobey".

Since the seating of the board seemed to fix the stall issue, im wondering if the low performance of the same tunes is still related to a poor connection. I may tin the traces to make sure i have the best possible connection.

I have an AE and can report back on any tests. I'd appreciate some ideas on what to check.
Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Whopper Junior

Also, noticed a sharp deceleration at coasting @ around 30 mph. Its so sharp its like someone jabbed on the brakes. Coasting feels like something is slowing it down further below that speed, almost like the TC is locked.
Old Wed, April 11th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Whopper Junior

towrig1 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the PHP programming does hold the TC clutch on when you decel? If so, why make the change? My stock and Superchips program unlocked the TC clutch if you even tapped the brake pedal. Not so with the PHP.

I also remember reading that the PHP programs are designed with more pedal effort or throttle application to get into the additional power levels.
Old Wed, April 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Whopper Junior

towrig1 is on a distinguished road

To clarify my operation of the TC lockup after installing my Phoenix.

In 100 Performance tune.

If you drive over 40mph and get the TC lockup...then let off the throttle....TC stays locked up until you coast under 35mph then it unlocks.

If you drive with the O/D off and get over 35mph and get the TC lockup....then let off the throttle...TC stays locked up until you coast under 25mph then it unlocks.

Kinda funny how brake pedal does not unlock the TC as it did with the Superchips. However, the shifts were all screwed up with the SC so having the TC stay locked on decel is just fine with me. It must be to help the TC clutch life.

.02c
Old Fri, April 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Whopper Junior

Spoke with Bill yesterday. The 40mph downshift is done with intent to aid in engine braking. It can be configured down to 34 mph which has less of a braking effect for normal driving.

We also found an issue with the pulse width of the three high performance tunes. I'll send it back to Bill and it will be taken care of.

Bill got back to me pretty darn quick!