Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Whopper

pickemuptruck13 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire size help

Hi guys i was wondering if someone could help me with tire size calculations? Before anyone say it i used the formula that came with the book but my speed still seems to be off about 5 miles and it seems it gets worse the faster i go i am using a gps for the speed comparison. My tire size is 365/60/r20 i also have 456 gears but i put that in so it shouldn't affect what size i put the tires. Thanks for all your help in advance
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Bacon King

cj3511 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire size

Try the calculator that is downloaded with the Pegasus software, used 7% instead of 5.

Jim

2002 5.4 SCREW XLT/FX4 Gryphon canned
MAC CAI Spin-Tech Cat back X-Pipe Dual In/Out Side Exit
Drawtite front hitch
Randy Ellis Light Bar w8" KC Driving Lights
265/75/16 Yokahama Geolander A/T-S
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Very good Jim! Exactly what I would have recommended. Good on you!

Pickemup, your speed is probably off because your tires "squish" under the weight of the vehicle. So, the actual distance traveled per revolution is somewhat less than the formula in the book shows. A rubber squish factor of 7% is what I found to give me the best results.

There is some "play" in this though: Your wheels do not "squish", this only happens to the rubber tires. If you compare the squish between very low profile tires and very high profile tires, I bet you will come out with some significant differences.

Try the calculator value at 7%. If it agrees with the GPS, cool! If you are now indicating SLOWER than the GPS, your squish factor is too big - reduce it. If you are indicating FASTER than the GPS, increase the squish.

Don't be a "slave" to the calculator. Play with the circumference values by "feel" until you get the speed on the Gryphon right. At this point, the dashboard speedo will read about 2 mph faster, because that't the way Ford designed it. The odometer will be correct though.

(Jim - I was an instructor. Someone asks me the time, I tell them how to build a clock! Sorry, I can't let go of it!)

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer