Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, April 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
jrthomas

jrthomas15 is on a distinguished road
Question wondering

I have a 2006 and my dad has a 2008. just wondering could i program his truck with my gryphon?
Old Sun, April 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

No..its a different truck, different ECU, diffferent settings, etc.
Old Sun, April 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

No! Like sincity posted before.
While the gryphon still has canned tunes in it you may be able to try it on that other truck but the first one has to be put back to stock!!!!!
Once custom tunes are in the gryphon do not use it on any other vehicle than it was intended for!!! Those tunes are hex code based to that truck's PCM.

Sincity may also have a valid point that the ecu maybe different in a 2006 than a 2008.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
jrthomas

jrthomas15 is on a distinguished road

ok i knew not to with the custom tunes i was just wondering about the canned i wasnt planning on doing it i was just wondering.

thanks
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Check with Bill on this one.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Check with Bill on this one.

Lars
Lars gave you the best advice here. I actually think it's possible that you can tune your Dad's, as long as your Gryphon has the latest firmware (so it will recognize his PCM), and, you've put your truck back to stock, and, you do not try to apply a custom tune to his truck.

But, I've been wrong before, so asking Bill is the way to go.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Member in Sin

Cannes tunes or custom tunes it will still "marry" to the vehicle. Well, at least the SCTtuners do. Otherwise...think about it, you could buy one tuner and run programs on an unlimited amount trucks.

But as the others suggested...Bill will know the real deal.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 07:09 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFX4 View Post
Cannes tunes or custom tunes it will still "marry" to the vehicle. Well, at least the SCTtuners do. Otherwise...think about it, you could buy one tuner and run programs on an unlimited amount trucks.

But as the others suggested...Bill will know the real deal.
SinCity, you're not quite right on this, at least as far as Edge programmers are concerned.

I got my Edge through Ebay from a guy who stated it had been returned to stock (it had), but would give no guarantees (pretty smart when you think about it). He and I had a pretty good discussion before I bid on it and I got a good feeling about him since he seemed so upfront. He sent me the unit, in the original box, with all the original hardware, including his bill of sale.

He had used it on his truck (which he sold) and in fact the little retaining clip on the OBDII cable where it plugs into the back of the Edge was broken off. (It still plugs in just fine though).

It worked just fine on my truck. (His was a 2004, mine's an 05). And it's now a Gryphon, with the same old, "broken clip", OBDII cable.

But, you CAN'T run tunes on an unlimited number of trucks. He had to return his truck to stock before he sold his unit to me. I would have to do the same thing (and return the calibrations to stock too) if I chose to sell it (which will only happen when they "pry it from my cold, dead hand")!

Possibly though, SCT tuners are different!

- Jack
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Member in Sin

I love it here...I learn stuff evey day I swear.

With the SCT tuners it locks to a specific vehicle and has to be unlocked,

This land of Edge/Gryphon is new to me.

I like to learn all aspects though.

Thanx Jack.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

If you went with a Phoenix and were doing your own programming with Minotaur then you could buy more chips and run the programs you designed on as many trucks as you wanted but you would need the MDF files for the PCM specific to the trucks you were working on. Free from Bill for the vehicle series you purchased with the minotaur. You just cannot redistribute bills original tunes.... The limit is basically an honor system there as you can look at them and use them to create your own custom tunes.... This is so Awesome about Bill and PHP is they are willing to share.... Unlike some other well known tuners that will not let you look at or modify their tunes.... you gotta pay them to do it for ya... Take a look in the Minotaur form if ya want to know more.. its a pretty small group of us at the moment doing our own tuning with the software but lots of good discussion
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's